UNSW Institute of Languages

International Students

Education for your children

Health Insurance

If you are an international student and have a dependent child or children of school age, your children are welcome to join an Australian school. There are many excellent choices of schools in Australia, where your children will receive a world class education.

It is mandatory for children aged 6-16 to attend school in Australia. Therefore, when you apply for your child’s visa the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will ask you provide evidence that schooling arrangements have been made by providing a Confirmation of Placement.

To organise schooling you need to complete an Application Form for an Authority to Enrol, provide necessary documentation and pay the relevant fees.

If you wish to enrol your child in a public school in NSW you may need to pay Education Fees. The Education fees for your child will depend on your visa subclass and the course you are studying. This fee is a partial contribution to the total education costs and includes most tuition costs, textbook hire, access to student welfare and counselling services, access to intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) support for eligible visa holders and access to TAFE subjects if eligible and within the curriculum requirements.

Further information about fees can be found at on the NSW Education and Training website.